Monday, September 8, 2008

What This Blog Needs is More Cowbell


While setting up this blog, I kept going back and forth to the profile page, trying to decide how much and what kind of personal information I wanted to disclose. I faced the same predicament while setting up my profile on Learn@UW last year, creating my Facebook account, and filling out the information sheet for my 20th high school reunion. What are my hobbies and interests? Is there really a difference between the two? Can I answer honestly or am I trying to impress people? Fact of the matter is, I'm pretty much a what you see is what you get kind of person. I don't have a lot of hobbies because I don't have a lot of free time. I have my family and my job and school, and that accounts for most of my time, which is okay with me. The most important fact about me that I'd like to impress upon people is that I'm happy and satisfied with my life, I strive to do my best at work and in school, and I love to laugh and to try to make other people laugh.

Has anyone ever seen the Will Ferrell/Christopher Walken skit on Saturday Night Live spoofing The Blue Oyster Cult's Don't Fear the Reaper? If not, I've attempted to insert the YouTube link for it here:

During my recent 21 hour drive to Orlando, for some reason this skit came to mind and made me laugh out loud in the car. 4 days later, while at Disney Studios, we were accosted by a band performing in the park that picked me out of crowd to play, of all things, a cowbell solo. What are the odds of that happening?

Anyways, I guess my point is that sometimes I try to make myself into something I think I should be, when just being myself is good enough. When life has me down or doubting myself, maybe all I really need is a little more cowbell.

P.S. Please do not poke fun at my "fanny pack". 80's-ish I know, but invaluable for toting stuff around theme parks!

No comments: