Saturday, September 27, 2008

Now I'm Really a Fan of LibraryThing


How cool is this? I was playing around with LibraryThing this afternoon and was curious how they arrive at their recommendations. I was a little confused by the explanation on the site so I clicked on "contact us". What comes up is the employee list, complete with job titles and email addresses. I sent an email to Tim Spalding, the founder of LibraryThing, around 5:00. I just checked my email now, at 10:00 p.m. on Saturday night, and had a personal, highly informative reply from Tim.

To put this in perspective, I had a bad experience at Walmart last Monday and sent an email to the local manager and corporate. I have heard nothing back from this store that receives several hundred dollars a month of my money. On the other hand, LibraryThing owes me nothing. It is a free service; they gain nothing from my satisfaction, yet they are the entity providing the fantastic customer service. WalMart could learn a thing or two from Tim and LibraryThing.

No comments: