Saturday, September 27, 2008

Thing 11: LibraryThing



I heard a lot of buzz regarding LibraryThing last year from my classmates in Rockford but didn't really check it out for myself until two weeks ago. The more I use it, the more I like it.

The site is laid out in a way that is easy to follow and understand. Unlike the majority of the other Web 2.0 sites I've explored recently, to date, I've had no trouble finding information or completing any tasks. The language and tone of the site is also informal and welcoming.

LibraryThing has also helped me understand the benefit of tags, which I never truly appreciated on sites like Flickr. As they put it "tags are a simple way to categorize books according to how you think of them, not how some library official does." I thought that was a great explanation, as well as being practical. Ask anyone who struggled with choosing LOC headings last spring for the George W. Bush or Jack Sparrow doll (you know who you are!!!) and I'm pretty sure they're agree with me. The fact of the matter is, catalogers have not read evey title that they are attempting to assign subject headings too. Different readers will find different main points in each book and tags represent what was important to each individual reader.

The social aspect of LibraryThing can also not be overlooked in this age of Web 2.0. I haven't explored that aspect much yet but can see how a frequent visitor will find other users that share the same tastes and opinions and come to trust their review and recommendations.

Finally, I've been impressed with the Reader's Advisory aspects of LibraryThing. It seems as reliable a source as any, and definitely is easier to use than Novelist. You can access my LibraryThing account by clicking on the "chiclet" below.

No comments: