Friday, October 24, 2008

Thing 15: Web 2.0, Library 2.0, and the Future of Libraries

I found most of these articles pretty interesting, although the one mentioning Web 3.0 and 4.0 was just too much to take in as I've just wrapped my brain around Web 2.0!

If I read the "Iceberg" article correctly, it was published in 2006, and I found it interesting that the author mentioned that circ was down 55% in his library. I wonder what that percentage would be today-seems the recent economy has pushed circulation upwards. Regardless, I do agree that it's not necessary to own everything, but not because materials can be found on the web, but because of the cooperative spirit of libraries and the ability to ILL items. As long as one library owns something, it is accessible to almost everyone. It is our job to make sure our patrons know that! I also agree that libraries cannot rely on educating users, but instead, should make things simple. Again, a really good concept but not always as easy as it sounds. I think I can attest, and probably some of my classmates, that the technology we've been exploring during this project often seem easy at first, but really mastering them takes quite a bit of exploration and practice. I think a better way of looking at this would be not just "easy", but "non-intimidating" and even "fun". Patrons need to WANT to use these tools that we provide for them. Finally, getting rid of the "come to us" model-totally agree. After reading this, I felt some pride in my lil' hometown library, who has provided this outreach to our patrons for years, and I know there are so many other libraries who are also right on top of this. Just by having the card catalog online, the ability to seach and place holds, connect with AskAway, search WorldCat, find links to online reference sites, etc. we are bringing the library to the public--but it hasn't stopped the public from still coming to us too.

I also loved what Michael Stephens said in his article: Library 2.0 "watches for the impact of technology on users and new thinking on businesses, because it is, in fact, related." Libraries do not exist in a vacuum. Our patrons direct us. I think a big part of libraries is giving the public what they want, or what they need. This can be seen simply by the fact that libraries provide much more than books. Libraries need to remain relevant to the people that use them.

My last point is where Wendy Schultz says that libraries are not just in communities, they ARE communities. That sums up my impression of libraries and really, why I am becoming a librarian.

No comments: